What to do with kernel panics?

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 04:50:06 UTC 2003

Hello everyone (again),

I just realized these messages have not been going to the list, so I am
replying to the list in hope of getting more answers.

To add to the messages below, I just opened up my computer and found out
that my motherboard is:

American Megatrends P4VMM2

The BIOS shows the following serial number at the boot screen:
62-0124-001131-00101111-040201

It has an Award (AMIBIOS) BIOS

Thanks in advance.

Anton Markov wrote:
| Hello Jing Su,
|
| Following your suggestions here is what I discovered:
|
| Jing Su wrote:
| | I don't have any solid leads or answers for you... but I'll keep asking
| | around to see if anyone else I know has any more suggestions to pass to
| | you.
| Thanks.
|
| | You shouldn't have any problems compiling the kernel.  Especially if
| | you're using RH9 (if I recall correctly).  Compiling the kernel is
| | actually a common test people use to test the stability of an
overclocked
| | computer.  If compiling fails, it usually means that the voltage
settings
| | aren't stable or the memory isn't keeping up.
| I am inclined to think this is the reason.  I have noticed that not only
| compiling, but other apps too have started randomly crashing.
|
| I may even know how it happened: after my mother-board was replaced, the
| CPU front-side bus was set to 100MHz (1.8GHz CPU).  I tried switching
| the FSB speed to 133MHz (so it runs at 2.4GHz like it should).
| Unfortunately, I didn't know where the DDR jumper was so I went back to
| store and had the guy there take a look at it.  He changed the DDR speed
| and said it's OK now.  Maybe he forgot the voltage.
|
| Where can I get the info about the appropriate voltages for my
| CPU/Motherboard.  The Motherboard has a VIA everything, and Award bios,
| and I am not sure of the actual make. The CPU is a 2.4GHz Pentium 4.
|
| Here is the output from "sensor" (I've corrected some of the values):
|
| [anton-zMHcGNhTcHs at public.gmane.org anton]$ sensors
| eeprom-i2c-0-50
| Adapter: SMBus Via Pro adapter at 0400
| Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter
| Memory type:            DDR SDRAM DIMM
| Memory size (MB):       512
|
| it87-isa-0290
| Adapter: ISA adapter
| Algorithm: ISA algorithm
| VCore 1:   +1.53 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +1.56 V)
| VCore 2:   +2.54 V  (min =  +2.40 V, max =  +2.60 V)
| +3.3V:     +6.68 V  (min =  +3.12 V, max =  +3.44 V)   ALARM
|       (+3.34?)
| +5V:       +4.94 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)
| +12V:     +12.00 V  (min = +11.36 V, max = +12.60 V)
| -12V:     -20.61 V  (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V)   ALARM
| -------- (-10.31?) This one worries me. --------------
| -5V:       +3.46 V  (min =  -5.28 V, max =  -4.81 V)   ALARM
| -------      (???) ---------- This one too
| Stdby:     +5.11 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)
| VBat:      +3.39 V
| fan1:     4623 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
| fan2:        0 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)          ALARM
| fan3:        0 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)          ALARM
| (fan2 and fan3 work in reality)
| Temp1/MB:    +37?C  (low =  +20?C, high =  +40?C)
| Temp2/CPU:   -96?C  (low =  +25?C, high =  +45?C)
|         (+43?)
| Temp3:       +75?C  (low =  +25?C, high =  +45?C)
> [...]

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPGP Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

~ "The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
~ - Some bad guy from 007