KDE/Mandrake 9.1

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 16:25:59 UTC 2003

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:19:27 -0500
Clive DaSilva <cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Had a really weird experience yesterday. I have been running mandrake
> 9.1 with the stock kernel 2.4.21-013mdk, for perhaps  3 months.
> I read an advisory which suggested that I upgraded the kernel to
> 2.4.21-026mdk, (all nicely packaged by the Drake folks), as a
> preventative measure against some root exploits. I use KDE 3.1 as the
> window manager, and since I've installed this kernel, KDE sometimes
> doesn't come up when I login as a user (it just hangs), or it comes up
> and crashes within 5 minutes. I have since been using IceWM as my backup
> window manager. Now, I've kept the old kernel, so I have a choice of
> kernels to boot from. When I try to run KDE using the old kernel, it
> crashes too.

I haven't seen anything like this come up on any of the Mandrake lists, but I
would suggest asking as well on Expert.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

It could be that KDE was compiled against the old kernel and is pitching a fit
now that newer modules are being loaded, though why when you boot into the *old*
kernel would hence be a mystery.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046