Windows refund experience?

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 23:00:42 UTC 2003

> The new Dell laptop just arrived by Purolator.  I've got the Debian
> install CD at the ready, but before I do anything, does anyone have
> (local, or at least Canadian) experience with trying to get a Windows
> refund from a manufacturer?

Yeah, you contact M$ Canada and they tell you to contact the OEM. Contact
the OEM and they tell you to contact M$ Canada. Tell them to stick it. the
OEM is responsible, and M$ makes this crystal clear.

Now you have a reason to build rather than buy off the shelf :)

> I notice I can't even see the EULA anywhere in the box; I suspect it's
> likely to be in the shrinkwrapped Windows XP Home pamphlet.  [Though
> there's no notice (at least on the outside) of the form "removing
> shrinkwrap implies agreement".]
>
> I certainly don't intend to turn the machine on without it booting
> straight into Linux.  Any other hints?

The boot loader can take care of this. You can get away without allowing
M$ onto the botloader config so it doesn't show at all.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.