Windows refund experience?

Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 21:54:41 UTC 2003

Le 27 Août 2003 17:30, Ian Goldberg a écrit :
> The new Dell laptop just arrived by Purolator.  I've got the Debian
> install CD at the ready, but before I do anything, does anyone have
> (local, or at least Canadian) experience with trying to get a Windows
> refund from a manufacturer?
>
> I notice I can't even see the EULA anywhere in the box; I suspect it's
> likely to be in the shrinkwrapped Windows XP Home pamphlet.  [Though
> there's no notice (at least on the outside) of the form "removing
> shrinkwrap implies agreement".]
>
> I certainly don't intend to turn the machine on without it booting
> straight into Linux.  Any other hints?

Hi Ian,

I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 about 2 years old now.

I read that if you want a refund you must NOT open the plastic of the holy
Windows software and not run the stuff. (I'm not sure though, it's old story,
and no I did not take care of all that at the time, and I considered it lost
for me).

The EULA comes in the disk, the first time you run your laptop you are shown a
bunch of screens.

Win comes in DELL CD. The problem I had is to run my win2000 inside vmware. I
complained about DELL because I could not install my windows (I paid for) in
vmware, their Dell-M$-OEM software detects that the BIOS is not the same and
refuses to install...
No response from Dell until now (after 2 years).

My advise now: read success stories, do your best, and keep us posted!

Good luck,

Marc