Help! Disk space error

Sidney Shapiro sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 15:17:45 UTC 2003

> Why do you have this problem?  On my Debian system I have almost 3GB
of
> stuff
> installed and my root is only 161 MB ... I've split off /usr and /var
as
> you
> have but I still have /boot as part of /.
>
> Check what's hogging your space ... I just checked a rh7.3 system that
> have
> access to and it's only using 216 MB for / despite tonnes of software
> being
> installed (3.8 GB /usr).
>
> One culprit might be extra kernels that are installed.  /lib/modules
can
> get
> pretty huge with a few 2.4 kernels installed.  Recent Debian kernels
have
> /lib/modules/2.4.x/ directory of around 25 MB each.
>
> Another problem might be /tmp or /root
>
> If there really is a legitimage reason for all that space being used
then
> I'd
> just pop in another disk and copy the root partition over to it.

I am not sure what is causing this problem, when I erased a bunch of log
and temp files stored under / I did manage to free up some space. If I
was to add another hard drive, would it be a problem to get it working
with the RAID5 the other drives are on? I would rather take some free
space (if possible) from somewhere else and add it to /.

Sid

[root at root]# df -h
/dev/hda6             372M   95M  258M  27% /
/dev/hda1              45M  8.7M   34M  21% /boot
/dev/md0              147G  9.3G  130G   7% /home
none                  283M     0  282M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda3             8.6G  1.7G  6.5G  21% /usr
/dev/hda7              26G  1.7G   23G   7% /var