Help! Disk space error

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 15:07:11 UTC 2003

On August 27, 2003 10:51 am, Sidney Shapiro wrote:

> [root @ root]# df -h
> /dev/hda6             372M  354M     0 100% /

Why do you have this problem?  On my Debian system I have almost 3GB of stuff
installed and my root is only 161 MB ... I've split off /usr and /var as you
have but I still have /boot as part of /.

Check what's hogging your space ... I just checked a rh7.3 system that I have
access to and it's only using 216 MB for / despite tonnes of software being
installed (3.8 GB /usr).

One culprit might be extra kernels that are installed.  /lib/modules can get
pretty huge with a few 2.4 kernels installed.  Recent Debian kernels have a
/lib/modules/2.4.x/ directory of around 25 MB each.

Another problem might be /tmp or /root

If there really is a legitimage reason for all that space being used then I'd
just pop in another disk and copy the root partition over to it.
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux