Help! Disk space error

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 15:35:52 UTC 2003

On August 27, 2003 11:17 am, Sidney Shapiro wrote:

> I am not sure what is causing this problem, when I erased a bunch of log
> and temp files stored under / I did manage to free up some space. If I

You've freed up 258 MB and you now have a relatively lean / of 95 MB.

> was to add another hard drive, would it be a problem to get it working
> with the RAID5 the other drives are on? I would rather take some free
> space (if possible) from somewhere else and add it to /.

You mean by resizing partitions ... not something I like to play with if the
system is important (or even if it isn't).

As someone else already suggested you could link /tmp to /var/tmp, I guess the
caveat with that is if you ever need to boot with only / then you'd have no
/tmp but I doubt that's a big issue.

I don't understand why you still need more space on / though ... the only
significant stuff in / (off the top of my head) are core system librares,
kernel modules, essential utilities (mount/ps/some shells/etc.).  No matter
how many security upgrades you apply, you should still have lots of space.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux