cupsys vs lpd Re:debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 17:42:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:14:07AM -0400, Max Blanco wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.  See my post to Peter earlier today.  I prefer to get
> into the stuff I know, albeit poorly.  I think the concept of web
> interface is good, but it requires httpd to work and adds another level of
> indirection.  This is fine if you want/like a m$-type interface, but not
> if you want to get under the hood.  Why replicate m$ behaviour?
>
> When you get down to it, IMHO, "cat"
> is the way to go.  lpd is second best (1 level of indirection).  cupsys is
> third (multiple levels of indirection; httpd required).  (Yes, I know that
> if you extend my logic, I'd be talking to the printer in hex.)

There is certainly no httpd needed for cupsys.  It has it's own web
server on port 631 that it uses for both administration and IPP printing
acces (usable among others by any unix system with IPP or cupsys,
Windows 2000, XP, 98 with add on client, Mac OS X 10.2+, etc).  It is
even the default on Mac OS X 10.2.

It is in no way extra indirection over lpd.  It is an independant
printer system.

> Is cupsys an interface to /etc/printcap?

No it is a new much better replacement for the old unix printing
garbage. :)  It doesn't use printcap at all.  It has command line utils
that behave like lp or lpr (your choice of sysV or BSD style) that have
support for extended options like resolution, duplex, n-up, etc.