Help rebuilding Redhat 9 rpm database

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 16:45:17 UTC 2003

  My other machine, a 4-year-old Dell of mine, runs OK except that the
harddrive has recently begun showing more bad blocks than than a Toronto
Argonauts highlight reel.  So I went and bought a new drive.  I RTFM'd
and set the jumper to Master and swapped drives.  Then I thought I'd try
putting Redhat 9 on the system while I was at it.  The install went OK,
and the check for bad blocks didn't find anything.  I decided to remove
Postfix as the mail agent and replace it with ssmtp.  Then rpm whined
about how mutt depended on Postfix.  I did a --nodeps removal of
Postfix, and rpm froze.  I popped open another tty and killed rpm.

  Then I tried rebuilding the rpm database from scratch.  Two hours ago,
I did "rpm -vv --initdb".  The response on the screen was...

D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages joinenv
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages create mode=0x42

  Nothing further since then.  Is this a long process on a 450 mhz
machine, or are things so badly hosed that I should re-install ?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did