debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial port: /dev/ttyS1

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 21:29:59 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Max Blanco wrote:

> The faqs.org says 9600 baud is the going rate, yet when I tried to
> setserial, my keyboard fubarred and I had to reboot.

?! why would that happen ? Maybe you are trying to write to the wrong port
? I do not know what the tty keyboard looks like on a Mac but if you tried
to configure that or a UART (Z8530) shared with it then it would explain
it.

You also want to see the manpage of stty wrt. settings for manual testing
like buffering etc.

If the printer is post script then the raw text you send will cause the
interpreter to curl up and die. Try to send a short ps file. Like man man
-Tps >/dev/wherever. Even this may not work if the printer requires JCL
control to enter PS mode or xon/xoff handshake. You have to find some info
on your printer. A captured printer file from another Mac with the same
printer would help a lot. Have you tried to look at the printer's answers
? As in cat </dev/theprinter|od -a ? Try this after turning it off and on
again. You can test the port completely and maybe talk to the printer for
testing using minicom, since it is serial.

good luck,

Peter