debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial port: /dev/ttyS1

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 18:50:41 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Max Blanco wrote:
>
> > Yet when I do
> > # cat > /dev/ttyS1
> > The quick brown fox.
> > <ctrl-d>
> >
> > nothing comes out the printhead.  Yes, I do have it "online".  No, I
> > haven't ever had it work with the macos: I am unable (terminally) to work
> > with iconic macos.
>
> It may need a page flush to start moving.

whazzat?  ctrl-L?

> > Does Imagewriter II have a powerup self-test in eeprom (like various HP
> > devices I've known?)  If so, how do I gain access?
>
> Most (all) intelligent printers have one (winprinters aren't intelligent).
> Try to hold the button(s) down while cycling the power. Hold them for at
> least 5 seconds. Try different combinations or look on the internet for
> more data.

These pages helped:
<LI><a href="http://www.faqs.org/faqs/apple2/faq/part18/">Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Printers, Part 18/25</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.aviators.stark.k12.oh.us/Tech/imagewriter.html">Imagewriter.html</a>

I got it to do a self-test by holding pwr and ff buttons while starting
up.  That part works, so I have a functional peripheral.

> > PS If anyone has a working /etc/printcap for a serial port mac printer,
> > I'd appreciate you posting it.
>
> I am sure that you will find one on the net. The 68k Linux users must have
> managed this a long time ago.

Odd, google couldn't find any with my search strings.  Printing-Howto's
galore, but no valuable info therein.

> FYI the most often encountered nonworking peripheral problem is a bad
> cable. If you see that things do not behave as they should try another
> cable first, then everything else.

The faqs.org 18/25 printer page (ref above) said the same thing.  I did a
continuity test and my cable is indeed working. Mine is NOT a
"straight-through" cable.  The correct type of cable
for my imagewriter II is NOT straight-through according to faqs.org.

I suspect it to be a setserial problem.

The faqs.org says 9600 baud is the going rate, yet when I tried to
setserial, my keyboard fubarred and I had to reboot.

TIA,
max.