debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial port: /dev/ttyS1

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 13:54:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Max Blanco wrote:
>
> > The faqs.org says 9600 baud is the going rate, yet when I tried to
> > setserial, my keyboard fubarred and I had to reboot.
>
> ?! why would that happen ? Maybe you are trying to write to the wrong port
> ? I do not know what the tty keyboard looks like on a Mac but if you tried
> to configure that or a UART (Z8530) shared with it then it would explain
> it.

Yes... are you saying that the keyboard and modem on the macos are split
in fact at a physical outside-the-box level, and represented as separate
devices but handled by the same 8530.  What I saw was evidence of a buffer
overflow?

> You also want to see the manpage of stty wrt. settings for manual testing
> like buffering etc.
>
> If the printer is post script then the raw text you send will cause the
> interpreter to curl up and die. Try to send a short ps file. Like man man
> -Tps >/dev/wherever. Even this may not work if the printer requires JCL
> control to enter PS mode or xon/xoff handshake. You have to find some info
> on your printer. A captured printer file from another Mac with the same
> printer would help a lot. Have you tried to look at the printer's answers
> ? As in cat </dev/theprinter|od -a ? Try this after turning it off and on
> again. You can test the port completely and maybe talk to the printer for
> testing using minicom, since it is serial.

Thanks for a gold mine of suggestions!

The kermit interface worked.  I "set line /dev/ttyS1", connected and
nothing came out.  I returned to the kermit prompt and "set speed 9600"
(it defaulted to 38400).  That worked.

Now all I need is an /etc/printcap entry and I'm done.  Unfortunately, I
don't know the printcap syntax well.  I guess I'll have to learn.