City of Toronto using Linux (on the desktop, yet!)

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 15:30:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Phillip Mills wrote:

> On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 08:41 AM, Max Blanco wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't we, as taxpayers, invest in linux, and save ourselves and our
> > neighbours $$$ and stress?
>
> I just sent a letter to the Globe and Mail (we'll see what happens)
> suggesting that exposing Microsoft products to the Internet, and
> thereby inviting vandals to "have at it", is an abuse of the trust we
> put in civil servants to manage resources for the good of the taxpayers.
> (This in reference to a recent article titled, "Blaster Worm hampering
> power repair.")

I hope you larded your letter with buzzwords like "redundant systems",
"failsafe backups", etc.  The CDROM installation of linux of which
City employee Jody McConkey spoke is painless and secure and, tho' I have
no experience with virii, could be updated to curtail the behaviour of the
virus within fifteen minutes. (just update /etc/services?)

It seems to me that we might prevail upon a writer with whom the tlug had
an acquaintance to listen and publish an article.  I deleted an email
about David Ticoll, a Globe writer, not too long ago.  It had to do with
installation...

Maybe he could be persuaded to lend an ear?

> > Shouldn't we, as taxpayers, invest in linux, and save ourselves and our
> > neighbours $$$ and stress?

I feel that this is an important question.