City of Toronto using Linux (on the desktop, yet!)

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 18:32:08 UTC 2003

On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Max Blanco wrote:

> I hope you larded your letter with buzzwords like "redundant systems",
> "failsafe backups", etc.

No, I'd put that into a longer piece.  My main point this morning was
that this stuff is now referenced like inevitable, "force of
nature"-type events that "just happen" to these poor
organizations...instead of being the predictable outcome of poorly
considered business decisions.

I tried to stay at the philosophical level rather than the technical.
If I could get people to believe that quality was as least as important
as herd instinct when choosing a system, then would be a good time to
bring up the details of sane configuration and management.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714