scancode/loadkeys howto:"apple"/"windows"/"mouseover-picklist"/"power-recycle" keys?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 22:58:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:22:01PM -0400, Max Blanco wrote:
> I thought keycodes were two hex digit long.  I'm mystified by the four
> digits "e0 5e".

Supposedly keycodes 112 - 127 are unused so you can do:

According to dumpkeys on my system though, everything up to 119 is used

setkeycodes e05e 120

You can then use key 120 for something in loadkeys.  To make it a
modifier key I guess you have to look at how alt and such are defined
and do something similar.

> Suppose I figure this out, I will know how to refer to the key.
>
> I will not know how to map the key to a function calling up "ctrlaltdel";
> I will only know how to map the key to such madeup functions as
> "Console_1".

Well 'Boot' is the codeword for reboot it seems.  There are keywords for
a few things, but I have no idea if you can add any.

> Please help.
>
> I have tried...

Well I can't figure out how to create a meta key, but maybe I just
haven't looked hard enough.  Nor have I found how to create a power off
button on the keyboard.

Lennart Sorensen