scancode/loadkeys howto:"apple"/"windows"/"mouseover-picklist"/"power-recycle" keys?

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 21:22:01 UTC 2003

Hi Lennart/All,

I haven't been too successful... more below

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:54:01AM -0400, Max Blanco wrote:
> > Yesterday, Lennart told me how to "loadkey".
> >
> > How do I find out what label (alt/ctrl/etc) is given to the "apple" key,
> > and by extension, the "windows" and "mouseover/picklist" keys that do
> > nothing?
> >
> > The "unknown scancode e0 5e" is returned when I press the "power-recycle"
> > toggle key on my mac.  I would like to remap/loadkey this to
> > "shutdown -h now", or "ctrlaltdel" in /etc/inittab language.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Certainly, you just have to tell the kernel what keycode to send for
> that unknown scancode, and then map what that key should do.  It can be
> done, but I haven't got time to look it up right now.

I thought keycodes were two hex digit long.  I'm mystified by the four
digits "e0 5e".

Suppose I figure this out, I will know how to refer to the key.

I will not know how to map the key to a function calling up "ctrlaltdel";
I will only know how to map the key to such madeup functions as
"Console_1".

Please help.

> The howto on linux keyboard stuff on one of the many linux howto sites
> should shed some light on at least part of it.

I have tried...

thanks,
max.