[GTALUG] Does anyone have experience with Tuxedo OS?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Sep 24 11:02:26 EDT 2024

> From: Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

> Does this mean the rest of the distros are going to be switching from
> PulseAudio to Pipewire in the (not too distant) future?

I think that they are or have.

> I hope the transition
> goes better than it did when we went from ALSA to PA. When PA was first being
> introduced it broke the previously working sound system on my desktop for
> almost 3 years.

Do you know why it broke?

Sound systems can break for a million reasons.  Some deep, some shallow.

All change has a chance of breaking things.  In theory, this change has a
low chance.

If you care, try a distro that has made the transition and see how it
works.  Then report any errors.

I think Fedora has switched.  If you test the current Fedora 40 Beta
Release, the maintainers should be particularly interested in problem
reports. Here's an old page about the transition:

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DefaultPipeWire>