[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Sep 13 17:04:19 EDT 2024

Michael Galea via talk said on Wed, 11 Sep 2024 18:24:27 -0400

>On 2024-09-11 15:31, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>>> From: Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>>
>>> I have a GeForce GT 520 [GF119]
>>
>> It seems that Nouveau should support this hardware.
>> <https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html#NVC0>
>>
>> I don't actually know how to switch between Nouveau (NV) and the
>> Nvidia legacy legacy driver.
>>
>> I don't know if Nouveau performs well enough for you.
>>
>> I guess you could test from a live USB system -- that way you would
>> not mess up your current system.
>During the heat of the battle, I did try  nouveau, but without
>success. I didn't do much debugging though as I have had pretty poor
>results with nouveau in the past. At that point I downgraded the
>kernel, downgraded the nvidia-legacy source and got the system up and
>running again.
>
>I have currently put the kernel and nvidia source packages on 'hold', a
>method in Debian that prevents their being upgraded.  But that is only
>going to hold the tide back for so long. I have gotten 10 years out of
>this hardware, it overheats in the summer, I have to re-encode some
>HEVC content and I want something small and power efficient instead.

My experience is that nVidia often conflicts with Linux, regardless of
what driver set you use. I just stay away from nVidia, and will
continue to until they reveal their API to Open Source authors.

Radeons have always worked just fine for me.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com