[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Wed Sep 11 18:24:27 EDT 2024

On 2024-09-11 15:31, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> From: Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
>> I have a GeForce GT 520 [GF119]
>
> It seems that Nouveau should support this hardware.
> <https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html#NVC0>
>
> I don't actually know how to switch between Nouveau (NV) and the Nvidia
> legacy legacy driver.
>
> I don't know if Nouveau performs well enough for you.
>
> I guess you could test from a live USB system -- that way you would not
> mess up your current system.
During the heat of the battle, I did try  nouveau, but without success. I
didn't do much debugging though as I have had pretty poor results
with nouveau in the past. At that point I downgraded the kernel,
downgraded the nvidia-legacy source and got the system up and
running again.

I have currently put the kernel and nvidia source packages on 'hold', a
method in Debian that prevents their being upgraded.  But that is only
going to hold the tide back for so long. I have gotten 10 years out of this
hardware, it overheats in the summer, I have to re-encode some HEVC
content and I want something small and power efficient instead.

--
Michael Galea