[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 10 16:55:13 EDT 2024

Kevin Cozens via talk said on Tue, 10 Sep 2024 15:17:44 -0400

>On 2024-09-09 12:26, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
>>> This happened to me.  I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 and Fedora
>>> 40.
>>>
>>> - my NVidia card is no longer supported by current proprietary
>>> drivers
>>>
>>> - it is supported by "legacy" proprietary drivers
>[snip]
>> No, I have an older card. a GT 350. For years I have been using the
>> nvidia-legacy-390xx series of 'old' nvidia drivers.  But after a
>> recent upgrade I had no graphical support after boot. I had an
>> nvidia kernel module, but glx couldn't find support for my video
>> card. Later, I saw some evidence that support for my card was being
>> dropped out the legacy support, so I am guessing that is what
>> happened.
>
>It is one of the reasons to be very hesitant to apply "updates" to a
>running system. You never know what is going to break or change in a
>negative way. I still need to downgrade Thunderbird, and report a loss
>of a function in the most recent version of LibreOffice.

Updates must be applied to running systems for security reasons and so
that one has libraries young enough to work with various applications.

The real blame is nVidia, who won't release their API specifications. I
never use nVidia.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com