[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Tue Sep 10 15:17:44 EDT 2024

On 2024-09-09 12:26, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
>> This happened to me.  I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 and Fedora 40.
>>
>> - my NVidia card is no longer supported by current proprietary drivers
>>
>> - it is supported by "legacy" proprietary drivers
[snip]
> No, I have an older card. a GT 350. For years I have been using the
> nvidia-legacy-390xx series of 'old' nvidia drivers.  But after a recent upgrade
> I had no graphical support after boot. I had an nvidia kernel module, but glx
> couldn't find support for my video card. Later, I saw some evidence that
> support for my card was being dropped out the legacy support, so I am
> guessing that is what happened.

It is one of the reasons to be very hesitant to apply "updates" to a running
system. You never know what is going to break or change in a negative way. I
still need to downgrade Thunderbird, and report a loss of a function in the
most recent version of LibreOffice.

If Nvidia has dropped support for the GT 350 I will be having a problem in
the not too distant future. I'm using a GeForce GTX 1050 which is much older
card. I use the proprietary nvidia 545.29.06 driver. Which version is
dropping GT 350 and older?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | "Nerds make the shiny things that
                                     | distract the mouth-breathers, and
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          | that's why we're powerful"
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick