[GTALUG] OT: Shots fired - heads up

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 10 13:40:23 EDT 2024

I scanned through the groups in groups.io. Many are more than 20 years old.
There is no smartphone app.
It costs money to start a group of more than 100 people, and the more
successful it is the more you need to pay. I understand the business model
but from the point of view of a group creator this is crazy next to the
free-of-cost alternatives.

When creating a group, don't you want to be where the users are, rather
than force them to create an account on yet another platform?
WhatsApp has two billion users
Reddit has 430 million
Discord has about 20 million
Groups.io and Google Groups do not publish user statistics.

I don't use groups.io but I do use Google Groups. I have been in and
created groups in it, in all the platforms mentioned above, as well as
Signal and Telegram which have group functionality.

All of these platforms can handle small groups, like the Discord server for
GTALUG. I have a personal Discord area with fewer than 12 members.
They are all pretty straightforward to set up, especially if you're
familiar with them.
But how well can they scale?
The largest group in groups.io has 15,000 members.
The popular groups in Reddit have tens of millions of members.
The larger Discord servers have a few million members each, though one --
for users of the Midjourney AI system -- has about 20 million members.

I see nothing in email (whether in Google Groups, groups.io or a
conventional list like GTALUG's) that isn't functionally done better on
Reddit (which allows people to "upvote" the most useful contributions) or
Discord (which includes streaming and virtual ad-hoc meetings) or WhatsApp
(which is super simple and most people have it anyway). All three of these
are free of cost to join or start a group of as many people as you can
gather. Discord also supports  Markdown formatting which is easier to do
than the HTML in most emails.

You're right, it is about the audience.
As I said, this is a generational issue.
Email works great for people over 40, because it's comfortable and they
grew up with it.
For younger people who grew up with smartphones and apps it's a very
different story.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada