[GTALUG] Opinions on container management for self-hosting

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Sep 9 14:32:05 EDT 2024

On 2024-09-09 14:14, Mike Holloway via talk wrote:
> Hey folks, here to add some more usage datapoints to the thread.
>
> Recently (1+ years now?) experienced a breakthrough with Podman in my homelab - everything is converted over on both Fedora and Guix (!). (Jellyfin, Nextcloud, RSS aggregator, Gitea, quassel-core). LetsEncrypt is handled by a standard OS reverse proxy service but I don't think containerizing it would be too hard; classic OS service setup is mostly owing to intertia and habit.
>
> My docker-compose.yml files are all working with podman-compose (the pip package) and I've gone through a few Fedora `dnf system-upgrade` processes which give me confidence in the forward viability of the setup.
>
> Not sure but there could be some differences between what myself and Alvin are deploying which accounts for quirks I'm unaware of.
>
> As for the "container needs updates" problem, I'm actually quite curious what folks are using since I haven't settled on a solution just yet, but the time is looking right for that consideration.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

The things that caught me with podman was the network plumbing.
The proxy I am using also depends on being able to get information back
from the docker runtime about the creation of containers that it may
need to proxy.

Since podman is now the RH blessed way to go I expect I will find
answers to all my problems soon.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
Netvel Inc.                   ||   home:  (905)513-7688