[GTALUG] Opinions on container management for self-hosting

Mike Holloway mike.holloway at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:14:36 EDT 2024

Hey folks, here to add some more usage datapoints to the thread.

Recently (1+ years now?) experienced a breakthrough with Podman in my homelab - everything is converted over on both Fedora and Guix (!). (Jellyfin, Nextcloud, RSS aggregator, Gitea, quassel-core). LetsEncrypt is handled by a standard OS reverse proxy service but I don't think containerizing it would be too hard; classic OS service setup is mostly owing to intertia and habit.

My docker-compose.yml files are all working with podman-compose (the pip package) and I've gone through a few Fedora `dnf system-upgrade` processes which give me confidence in the forward viability of the setup.

Not sure but there could be some differences between what myself and Alvin are deploying which accounts for quirks I'm unaware of.

As for the "container needs updates" problem, I'm actually quite curious what folks are using since I haven't settled on a solution just yet, but the time is looking right for that consideration.

Cheers,
Mike

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.