[GTALUG] Linux and on line banking?

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Oct 18 19:03:59 EDT 2024

D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote on 2024-10-18 14:43:

> One can claim that web developers are doing a lousy job of making
> sites accessible.

For a site backed by infinite money, like banks, there is no excuse.

For a web developer to try to understand all of the "aria" accessibility
enhancements (a11y - it's such a big topic even the word doesn't get
typed out), it's an entirely separate job.

I've been playing with Material Design (by Google), and each component
of MUI has an ARIA section and, where possible, the components take care
of as much of that as possible by default.

So, yes it could and *should* be better.

Also, it's a very complex topic and many / most devs won't have access
to testing tools like screen readers.

Material Design at least makes colours, contrast, and keyboard
navigation quite easy, and helps with ARIA labelling.

It's worth looking into, it's pretty nice.

Tailwind (originally by Twitter, I think), also looks nice.