[GTALUG] Linux and on line banking?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 18 16:14:48 EDT 2024

On Fri, Oct 18, 2024 at 11:41:09AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> > From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> > My sincere hope was, given all the claims  to successful Linux access, someone
> > is doing this in the heart of Linux, its command line.
>
> The heart of the web is the GUI browser.  Linux cannot change that.
>
> Ideally, the web is identical for Windows and Linux users.
>
> There are, of course, second order differences.  Screen readers, for
> example.  I think that you've said screen readers are better on Windows.
>
> lynx, links, elinks all try to use a TUI for the web but are pretty
> hit-or-miss.
>
> I don't know when you are using MS-DOS, but I would be surprised if you
> could browse well from MS-DOS.

The setup involved is ssh running on dos connecting to a linux system,
running a text browser.  There is no GUI involved anywhere.

Text to speech is handled by a card made by DEC using drivers on DOS.

It's a rather unusual setup, but seems very functional, especially at
the speed of speech Karen is used to using on it.

If the site doesn't work with a text only browser, it causes problems
though.

--
Len Sorensen