[GTALUG] Linux and on line banking?

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Oct 18 16:45:39 EDT 2024

tusooa via talk wrote on 2024-10-17 16:40:

> Unfortunately, many websites nowadays require JavaScript,

Why is that unfortunate?

It's how we get full applications delivered via the internet instead of
hoping someone develops either cross-platform or specific Linux
applications.

Or have to run software via WINE-like emulation.

> which might be not well-supported in text-based web browsers.
The V8 JS engine that powers Chrome is available stand-alone, open-sourced.

It could be brought in to a text-based browser. I can imagine it would
be a challenge, but any browser would be difficult to write & maintain.

There are Python tools (Selenium?) that allow one to incorporate an
entire browser engine as a module for manipulating web sites
programmatically.