[GTALUG] Linux and on line banking?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Oct 17 23:11:29 EDT 2024

Thanks for providing this information.
Sharing in return, only in the sincere interest of education.
I hear more often then I might wish the idea that it is every soul's
obligation  to educate, so.
1, TD Bank is  not subject to the aoda.
The aoda, which itself is both less legally relevant then the Ontario human
rights code, and is, as demonstrated by allot of recent coverage of the
new Toronto court house, quite a broken piece of legislation..is
Provencal.
Banks, are federal meaning any human rights violations fall under the
jurisdiction of the Canadian human rights code.
2. no website should ever  be created to work with any single tool, screen
reader or otherwise.  First that endeavor is impossible, there are scores
of screen readers across various platforms.  second, at the most basic a
screen reader is a talking monitor. sure some talk very well indeed,  like
my several smiles.  some talk very very badly, like most written for
Linux. But at the end of the day focusing on the screen reader is like say
focusing on a  1975 ford being the cause of road issues.
Instead web design, when done correctly employs progressive enhancement.
Starts with a well laid cement road, basic HTML for example, and builds on
that road.
The rules around web access, web content access guidelines, include things
like the below.

Guideline 4.1 Compatible: Maximize compatibility with current and
future user agents, including assistive technologies.

Guideline 2.1 Keyboard Accessible: Make all functionality
available from a keyboard.

those matter a great deal, because someone who is say paraplegic is not
going to use a screen reader.  They do still need to bank however.  for
the record, someone  who is actually deaf blind is not going  to use one
either..but they still need keyboard function, or the equal of that
function.  By voice for example.
Problems like TD happen when a staffer thinks all individuals sharing a
label  are the same, finds a single example, and tada thinks they project
to everyone even if that everyone is using something else.
And finally.
3.  The accessibility contact at TD bank is an automated email that thanks
you for  writing, says they will  consider your *feedback* in relation to
the new accessible Canada act,  but if your issue is actually about
banking services, ask someone else.
Last I checked the online banking tool required you to use a single set of
adaptive technologies..which is indeed a violation of human rights law in
Canada.
Does all that make sense?
My sincere hope was, given all the claims  to successful Linux access,
someone is doing this in the heart of Linux, its command line.  That way I
could just find a solution, instead of say spending a couple of years at
the  Canadian Human Rights commission.
Your confusion is perfectly and absolutely understandable, believe me!
Cheers,
Kare