[GTALUG] Power Mode: reducing fan noise on a notebook

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri May 31 10:20:28 EDT 2024

I don't recommend taking a laptop apart for this.  Generally the air
path for cooling the processor is very short, so the in and out air
vents are both close together and fairly obvious.  The easiest way to
clean this is to blow compressed air into one vent and watch the puff
of dust that comes out the other vent.  Should it not be obvious: do
this with the machine turned OFF.  I can imagine possible problems
with this method, but I've been doing it for years with reasonable
results and no problems - and it's a lot easier and faster than
attempting to disassemble your laptop.  Particularly as laptops get
harder to repair / disassemble.  For a desktop - disassembly is much
easier, and also more needed for this task.

It's also interesting that one could argue that an ad blocker in your
browser is for the good of your computer - it saves your processor and
fan from overheating.