[GTALUG] Power Mode: reducing fan noise on a notebook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri May 31 09:38:02 EDT 2024

Most modern notebooks throw off a lot of heat when computing hard.
Too much heat can force the cooling fans to go faster and
therefore make more noise.
The notebook that I keep by our couch for casual use while watching TV
sometimes gets noisy.
What's the heavy computing doing?  Mostly running ads in Firefox.
Since I don't really care how quickly ads run, I've switched the "power
mode" to "power saver" and there seems to be less noise.

Power Mode can be set several ways.  The way I used on Fedora 40's Gnome
Desktop:
	Settings: Power: Power Mode: Power Saver

There is a slightly faster way that is harder to describe

- click on top right of the screen (the little icons for networking, sound
  and power on are really one button)

- that pops up a window showing a lot of things.  One is "Power Mode"

- click on "Power Mode" and it will toggle between "Balanced" and "Power
  Saver" (at least on my desktop).

- Alternatively click on the ">" symbol on the "Power Mode" oval to get
  all the choices displayed (including "Performance")

Note: just how the fans behave under different Power Modes is specific to
the hardware.  YMMV.

My suspicion is that vendors like their computers to have good benchmark
performance so the "balanced" mode is more likely to run fans than I'd
like.  I'm going to try "Power Saver" on more of my computers.