[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi as a desktop or settop computer

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sat Jun 22 16:39:49 EDT 2024

On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 14:15:45 -0400
William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I use laptop for work, and I hate it.  I end up adding mouse, monitor,
> and keyboard (because one key on laptop is broken, and it will cost $500
> to replace the whole one-piece keyboard).  With this hybrid work
> schedule, I have to carry it back and forth, along with its power
> supplies, headset, mouse, etc.
>
> I miss the old days.  All your stuffs are at office, and you just show
> up with lunchbox.

William,

   No problems with work laptops here.  I am a touch typist and I find the Lenovo keyboard adequate at worst.  At home as well as at work, I prefer to plug into an extra monitor.  My only problem with it is that it runs Windows.

   I am typing this on my personal Lenovo laptop running GNU/Linux.  For anything other than a desktop, I find that mice are inferiour to trackballs.  I strongly prefer mice for mechanical CAD.  In coffeeshops, in bars, and on the arms of my front porch muskoka chairs, trackballs do not need table space.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com