[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi as a desktop or settop computer

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 22 14:15:45 EDT 2024

On 2024-06-22 12:12, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> My current opinions:
>
> - instead of a desktop computer, consider a laptop.  That market is much
>    larger and the competition has produced some quite good option.

I use laptop for work, and I hate it.  I end up adding mouse, monitor,
and keyboard (because one key on laptop is broken, and it will cost $500
to replace the whole one-piece keyboard).  With this hybrid work
schedule, I have to carry it back and forth, along with its power
supplies, headset, mouse, etc.

I miss the old days.  All your stuffs are at office, and you just show
up with lunchbox.

As for Raspberry Pi as desktop, I tried and gave up long ago.  Yes,
laptop is better choice.  Because by the time you add, case, mouse,
keyboard, monitor, stand, and all proprietary adapters and cables,
investment in laptop will last you longer.