[GTALUG] static IPs are available with TekSavvy Fibre

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sat Jun 8 17:24:08 EDT 2024

On 6/8/24 15:43, Val Kulkov via talk wrote:
> TekSavvy recently started offering Internet over Bell's fibre in the
> GTA. The great news is that static IPs are available over fibre as
> they are now over DSL. Apparently, TekSavvy uses PPPoE for the fibre
> connections.
>
> Also, I have been using a static /56 subnet from TekSavvy for years at
> no additional cost. They are saying that I can migrate my current
> static /56 subnet from DSL to fibre. I am extremely happy with that.

I'm on Rogers and while the IPv4 address is DHCP, it changes so seldom,
it's virtually static.  They also provide a host name, based on modem
and router MAC addresses, that doesn't change unless you change the
hardware.

As for the IPv6 prefix not changing, that's normal.  A "DUID" is used to
identify the client and unless it changes, the same prefix should be
obtained.  I expect Teksavvy is managing their own IPv6, as Bell doesn't
yet offer it to consumers, as far as I know.  This means you should get
the same prefix, no matter how you connect. I've had the same prefix on
Rogers for over 5 years, even though I've replaced both my cable modem
and firewall (pfSense) computer.