[GTALUG] Portable Monitors

Nick Accad naccad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 15:05:36 EDT 2024

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 13:57 D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> > From: Nick Accad via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> > 3. I ended up getting this:
> >
> https://www.arzopa.com/collections/hot-deals/products/s1-table-15-6-fhd-portable-monitor
> >
> > It worked.. "OK", niot great, my main complaint is that the USB-C
> > connection is a hit or miss, it worked on an Android phone for example,
> but
> > it did not work on my souped up Dell/Windows laptop, and the support
> > response is "just use USB-C for power and use the HDMI for display". Yup,
> > it's going back.
>
> The display specs say:
>   Input Interface: Mini HD(Video Signal), Type-C Full Function(Video
>         Data, Power Supply ISDN),
>
> I don't know what Mini HD is, but I would guess that it is really Mini
> HDMI.
> <
> https://www.howtogeek.com/745530/hdmi-vs-mini-hdmi-vs-micro-hdmi-whats-the-difference/
> >

> Mini HDMI isn't that common.  I think Raspberry Pi uses it.
>
> USB 3.x can and often does support Power Delivery, and DisplayPort at
> the same time.
>
> If your computer is new enough, you only need a USB C male-to-male cab.
>
> If not, you need a Mini HDMI cable and a USB C charger.
>
> Or did I misunderstand somehting?
> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Nope you got it, the usb-c to my laptop didn’t even detect a device. And my
laptop is really top of the line, we get what we call “engineering laptops”
from Dell, mine is not even a year old.

I could technically get a usb-c to hdmi adapter, but I was hoping for a
single cable a la thunderbolt.

I’ll check in later if I find something that works