[GTALUG] TLDs

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel at dwarmstrong.org
Thu Jul 25 20:53:50 EDT 2024

I use Porkbun as my registrar, and I'm a sucker for picking up a ".space" domain when they have their $1.99 deals. :-)

Libre Space Foundation - https://libre.space/ - might be of interest to some on this list and is an entirely fitting use of the .space domain.

.diy domains might prove popular for creators of HOWTOs and kit builders. TLD-LIST states it hasn't been officially launched yet, but Porkbun already has a first year sale on the domain:

https://porkbun.com/tld/diy

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024, at 08:45, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> This isn't directly Linux-related, but it's a topic that's probably of
> interest to many on this list.
>
> https://tld-list.com/tlds-from-a-z
>
> That shows a list of all top-level domain names - which is interesting
> enough.  But if you click on any given TLD, it shows you who owns it,
> the intended purpose, and the pricing ... not just the registration
> price and the renewal price now, but over time.  Being as fascinated
> by this as I am requires a combination of a couple different geeky
> inclinations.  I own several domains and also have often registered
> them for my work - but I'm also fascinated by words and ideas, and by
> the demand for them (here translated into dollar values for domain
> names).
>
> For example: .black and .green are apparently "cool" colours, because
> their registration cost is in the $50-$60 range.  Other colours aren't
> as cool - eg. .pink which sells for ~$15.  And some colours (eg.
> .yellow) don't exist at all.  I guess no one thought they could make
> money off that domain.
>
> And this is before we get into the incredible and absurd diversity of
> domain names.  .ninja anyone?  (Its registration price is very low,
> but renewal costs more.)  I could of course register gilesorr.recipes
> for all that cooking blogging that I do ...
>
> I'm curious: what's your pick for weirdest TLD?  What's the strangest
> one you've actually seen in use?
>
> --
> Giles
> https://www.gilesorr.com/