[GTALUG] TLDs

Andrew Heagle andrew at logaan.com
Thu Jul 25 11:32:36 EDT 2024

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 10:28 AM Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 8:46 AM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>

>> For example: .black and .green are apparently "cool" colours, because their
>> registration cost is in the $50-$60 range.
>

> Think like a marketer. Because it's marketers who are peddling domains as
> branding tools, and choosing which gTLDs to create.
>
> Dot-black is intended to be used by an identified cultural community,
> similarly to dot-gay or dot-mormon.

Originally, the intent for .black wasn't for the black community, but about
"sophistication". You can see it in the .black FAQs.

> Sometimes there is confusion. The dot-la domain is actually the country
> TLD for Laos, but has been marketed first as a Latino community TLD, and
> when that didn't work the marketers shifted focus and it's now being
> peddled as the TLD for Los Angeles <https://www.la/>. There might even be
> Laotians using it too.

I remember there used to be quite a few .TO  (Tonga) domains for Toronto
based businesses. Haven't noticed too many lately.

> I'm curious: what's your pick for weirdest TLD?  What's the strangest one
>> you've actually seen in use?
>>

> Afilias registered a few TLDs when they opened it up. I thought one of the
weirdest was .kim, which is specifically targeted towards Korean people
with the "Kim" family name.  I don't think there are any others like that,
although, my brother-in-law's last name is Pink.