[GTALUG] TLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 25 11:19:46 EDT 2024

Most "memorable" domains are an outright waste of money. Especially ones
that are more cute or curious than memorable.

Plus, remember that you can't own a domain, you're just renting it. Miss
the rent and it goes to someone else, possibly a rival.

In the era of first location-aware search engines and now AI-powered
queries (not to mention QR codes and URL shorteners), domains are simply an
inferior way to be found on the Internet. These days the non-vanity value
of most domains seems to be shrinking as they're simply less necessary. But
I guess the vanity factor cannot be dismissed.

- Evan

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 11:00 AM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I was deeply disappointed that I couldn't buy "cloa.ca".  Whoever did
> buy it isn't even using that disgusting name yet.  Not that I had any
> particular use in mind myself ...  It's very hard to come up with
> words that end in "ca."
>
> Wow - no, it's not all that bad:
>
>      `grep 'ca$' /usr/share/dict/words`
>
> Turns up 61 results, and who wouldn't want to register sciati.ca or
> eroti.ca (note that I haven't checked if these are registered).
> mec.ca _is_ registered - to Mountain Equipment Co-op, a company many
> of you are probably familiar with.  Sadly (but unsurprisingly), both
> antarcti.ca and repli.ca aren't available.
>
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 at 09:44, Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 at 08:45, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
> > > What's the strangest one you've actually seen in use?
> >
> > Not strange or a weird TLD but I always notice the sites that use the
> > TLD as the last letters of words they want to spell, instead of the
> > intended purpose of the TLD, for example https://www.YouTu.be
>
> --
> Giles
> https://www.gilesorr.com/