[GTALUG] TLDs

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 08:45:15 EDT 2024

This isn't directly Linux-related, but it's a topic that's probably of
interest to many on this list.

https://tld-list.com/tlds-from-a-z

That shows a list of all top-level domain names - which is interesting
enough.  But if you click on any given TLD, it shows you who owns it,
the intended purpose, and the pricing ... not just the registration
price and the renewal price now, but over time.  Being as fascinated
by this as I am requires a combination of a couple different geeky
inclinations.  I own several domains and also have often registered
them for my work - but I'm also fascinated by words and ideas, and by
the demand for them (here translated into dollar values for domain
names).

For example: .black and .green are apparently "cool" colours, because
their registration cost is in the $50-$60 range.  Other colours aren't
as cool - eg. .pink which sells for ~$15.  And some colours (eg.
.yellow) don't exist at all.  I guess no one thought they could make
money off that domain.

And this is before we get into the incredible and absurd diversity of
domain names.  .ninja anyone?  (Its registration price is very low,
but renewal costs more.)  I could of course register gilesorr.recipes
for all that cooking blogging that I do ...

I'm curious: what's your pick for weirdest TLD?  What's the strangest
one you've actually seen in use?

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/