[GTALUG] a quick question about power supplies?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 19 22:22:39 EDT 2024

On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 03:21:40PM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 at 10:56, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I recently bought a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600, model
> MPX-6001-ACAAW, PC power supply, circa 2017. (I got it from a guy for
> $25 who bought it new, because he thought the supply in his PC was
> faulty. It turned out his original supply was fine, so this one had
> sat in the box unused.)
>
> The product sheet for this supply says:
> "Cooler Master's 120mm HDB temperature control fan"...
> (Note "temperature control")
> https://www.coolermaster.com/en-global/products/masterwatt-lite-600w-full-range/?tab=tech_spec
>
> The box it came in has a graph with curves for fan RPM and acoustic
> noise (dBA) on the Y axis vs. percent of rated load on the X axis.
> From 0% to 100% load the fan speed slopes upwards from 1000 to 2000
> RPM (and the noise from 20 to 34 dBA).
>
> Having a temperature controlled fan in a PC power supply didn't strike
> me as being unusual.

Well maybe at the higher wattages.  I haven't built anything that ever
need that much power (high end gaming machines is not something I have
ever had).

> This, however, is likely almost alway true. I think the control range
> would rarely extend to fully off.

Yeah 1000 rpm is definitely still spinning just much less noisy.
I suspect there are some specialized silent power supplies that may in
fact stop their fan when not needed.

> I believe this supply is considered to be a "budget" model.
> https://www.pctekreviews.com/Reviews/PSU_600.aspx

At what point did 600W power supplies become budget level power supplies?

--
Len Sorensen