[GTALUG] a quick question about power supplies?

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:21:40 EDT 2024

On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 at 10:56, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> No PC power supply I have owned in 30 years has ever had a temperature
> controlled fan in the power supply.

I recently bought a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600, model
MPX-6001-ACAAW, PC power supply, circa 2017. (I got it from a guy for
$25 who bought it new, because he thought the supply in his PC was
faulty. It turned out his original supply was fine, so this one had
sat in the box unused.)

The product sheet for this supply says:
"Cooler Master's 120mm HDB temperature control fan"...
(Note "temperature control")
https://www.coolermaster.com/en-global/products/masterwatt-lite-600w-full-range/?tab=tech_spec

The box it came in has a graph with curves for fan RPM and acoustic
noise (dBA) on the Y axis vs. percent of rated load on the X axis.
>From 0% to 100% load the fan speed slopes upwards from 1000 to 2000
RPM (and the noise from 20 to 34 dBA).

Having a temperature controlled fan in a PC power supply didn't strike
me as being unusual.

> If the machine is on, the fan is spinning.

This, however, is likely almost alway true. I think the control range
would rarely extend to fully off.

> Maybe some very very high end models do that.

I believe this supply is considered to be a "budget" model.
https://www.pctekreviews.com/Reviews/PSU_600.aspx

--
Scott