[GTALUG] a quick question about power supplies?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Jul 18 12:19:02 EDT 2024

Hi wise souls of computing.
One of the creative problems going on with my recently built computer is
that the fan in the power supply no longer works.  Nor can I use the power
button to actually turn off the machine anymore.
When it gets too warm in fact, I must flip the switch on the supply in the
back..its scary, but so is overheating.

While I am still hunting for sighted help to fix the mess my prior contact
left behind..the cd rom is disconnected too, I want to plan properly for
the power supply replacement.
I have several, including at least one still in the box.
I am quite sure that the power supply capacity is too low for the several
things the machine is doing, I have three hard drives in the unit, several
internal boards in use those kinds of things.
Is there a guide, or rule of fun, for  determine how much power capacity
a supply should provide based on how much work the computer processor will
be doing?
  With appreciation.
Karen