[GTALUG] Prompting the return of In-Person events.

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Mon Jul 15 16:56:10 EDT 2024

You remember the challenge correctly for the room. T?he critical
difference isn't at the room doors, but now the building doors. Those
were open access, letting anyone into the building through the half
dozen different entry points. I was led to understand that was curtailed
during the pandemic. So there are now to points of access control for
ingress. That is significant friction increase.

I've not gotten recent ground truth as to how real a problem this remains.

On 2024-07-12 18:19, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | The two previous options that we used now require passcards at the door and
> | would be extremely inconvenient.
>
> I thought I remembered that at Toronto Metropolitan University we could
> let people in at the door but that it was otherwise locked.  (You may have
> corrected me before but sometimes my old memories are sticky.)
>
> If my memory is correct, all we'd need was a single person with a pass card
> and someone to volunteer to be at the door to let people in
> (alternatively: catch phone calls with requests to be let in).
>
> If we made it clear in meeting announcements that the door would not be
> opened after a certain time, the door person would not even have to miss
> any of the meeting.
>
> This worked satisfactorily for various meetings at the Mozilla offices.

Scott Sullivan