[GTALUG] some first impressions of new Snapdragon PCs

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 8 09:15:01 EDT 2024

Note: I haven't touched one of these.  This is based on things I've read
on the internet.

They looked attractive:

- PC's based on an ARM processor that was kind of like Apple's

- higher performance that x86, especially in computation per Watt.

- a liklihood of being open since they were aimed at Windows

- a liklihood of lower prices since multiple manufacturers can make PCs
  based on the processor

So far, I'm tentatively disappointed:

- full(?) Linux support is six months away.  Support will be from
  Qualcomm.  That doesn't really sound open.  And who knows how long six
  months really is.

- first reports (from the Windows world) is that real performance isn't
  what was promised.  Apparently, at full throttle, these burn a lot of
  power.

- the cost is in the same ballpark as Apple computers.

- Qualcomm or Microsoft has not provided developers the tools to build
  software for the platform.

- Intel and AMD are moving forward so any Qualcomm advantage may be
  narrowing.

Oh, and "Recall", the centerpiece of Microsoft's Copilot+ PCs (the
branding currently limited to Qualcomm-based products), seems to be a
pretty bad security nightmare.