[GTALUG] [PRIVATE] Re: access to iLO on HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Aug 31 15:59:53 EDT 2024

On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 06:01:47AM +0200, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Lennart,
>
> My first email on this subject has all details. Please have a look there.
>
> I can not start the machine. Pushing the power button does not change
> anything. I can not use keyboard and monitor.

OK that does seem weird.  Certainly if the board does have a CPU or ram
or similar problem, that would likely prevent starting it, but the iLO
is independent and hence can run fine.

For the CMOS battary is it not just a normal coin cell like a CR2032?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/704069/Hp-Proliant-Dl360p-Gen8.html?page=89
certainly looks like one, but it doesn't seem to actually specify what
kind of battery it is.  They do make it sound as if that should only
affect the clock, and not anything else in the system.

It does seem that this model has had some tendancy towards motherboard
failures unfortunately.  It is a 2012 model, so not exactly new after all.

Personally I have had machines totally fail to power on due to a bad
ram module, so trying to remove most of the ram, any PCIe cards, etc to
make it as minimal as possible is probably worth a try.  Of course if
the CPU is the problem, most people don't have spares of those sitting
around to try.

--
Len Sorensen