[GTALUG] access to iLO on HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Aug 27 23:16:29 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-27 10:55, Zbigniew Koziol via talk wrote:
> Greetings to all who may be remember me (it is already around 16 years
> as I left Canada). To others - too :)
>
> I have bought that machine for computer simulations in physics, not
> having before experience with similar ones.
>
> The first start and installing mint there went easy. My guess is that
> I shut it down improperly (I do not remember details).
>
> Now, it is my guess, the machine is in standby mode (when power is
> connected). The unfortunate thing is that I did not do any initial
> BIOS configuration and I did not care to write down iLO IP address.
>
> The lights on both power suppliers are off. The light on the front is
> amber. Two lights near iLO cable are green, one solid, the second is
> blinking, suggesting that iLO works properly.

You should be able to press the amber switch and it should just power up.

> By reading the internet and documentation I found out that sometime
> people have similar problems. What is advised is resetting the beast
> to factory setting. That apparently can be done by 3 methods: 1) with
> some magic of removing/swapping power suppliers, 2) by changing S6 to
> ON on system maintenance switch and 3) by removing CMOS battery.
>
> I did try the methods 1) and 2). In case of method 3) - I do not know
> how to remove battery. It does not look the same as it is drawn in the
> original technical documentation.
Do not remove the battery.
if you remove the cmos battery the system will lose things like its
serial number.
Its is not fatal but a pain in the ass.

> Now, I thought I will try to use iLO. First, I need its IP address.
> Yes, I know basics of using ping, nmap, etc. However, I have at home a
> simple Huawey router. It allows to have netmask of the type
> 255.255.255.0, only, hence scanning the entire possible IP range is in
> practice, impossible.
>
> It happened that that I discovered an option on my desktop computer to
> configure the network connection as "shared to other computers".
> Hence, connected to cable directly to iLO and found out that my IP is
> now 10.42.0.1. Does that mean that this is IP of iLO? That would be a
> something, however, the problem does not end there.
>
> How to connect to iLO anyway? My Huawey router does not allow me to
> change a configuraion in such a way that 10.42.0.1 could be an address
> of a connected device: it wants 10.42.0.1 to be the gateway address.
>
> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

In general your life would be much easier if you first get the system
booting in the normal way using a monitor and keyboard.
Once you have your OS running then you can use ipmitool, hponcfg or
hpilo_cli and at that point you can configure your iLO interface so that
you can get at it later.
If the system was sold used it is quite likely that it has had the iLO
interface already configured.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
Netvel Inc.                   ||   home:  (905)513-7688