[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun Aug 11 10:20:03 EDT 2024

On 8/11/24 00:26, CAREY SCHUG via talk wrote:
> I remember in the early days when email was primarily in-house, that IBM's system (or maybe Cisco's) WAS case sensitive, that is, George was a different account than George. and georgE would match neither.  I don't recall if or how that was resolved when the internet was added, I kind of think that you had an internal email and an external email, so only one of George or George got to use that on the internet email.
>
> Does anybody remember if I am totally confused, right, or something close?

I was at IBM in the late 90s, where I used both PROFS and Lotus Notes.
I don't recall either being case sensitive.  I have never used Cisco e-mail.

I also used to have a personal CompuServe account and Telenet¹ when I
was at Unitel.  IIRC, a CompuServe was two groups of numbers, separated
by a comma.  I've forgotten what the address format on Telenet was.

1. Unitel was the Canadian provider of Telenet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenet