[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 10 21:55:05 EDT 2024

On 8/10/24 7:55 PM, xerofoify via talk wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 7:17 PM Ron / BCLUG via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> Peter, don't you work in philosophy? I'm surprised you didn't mention
> vagueness as an issue here in the philosophy of language or go through
> lexical analysis with your daughters. The debate ends rather quickly,
> I would think with that. But my memory is incorrect about that,
> perhaps.

I do indeed work in philosophy.  This could be a vagueness issue, though
it is more likely to be an ambiguity issue (i.e. a spot where there are
rules/norms/customs but in fact we don't converge on the same ones).
Vagueness works for words like "large." Ambiguity for whether we should
understand "bank" as the side of a river or a financial institution.  My
gut intuition is that this is more like the latter than the former.

Also, I try not to pull professional rank, especially when I might be
wrong (or seriously out of date).

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3311 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
        CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/