[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Aug 10 21:53:00 EDT 2024

There are email rules and GMail rules.

RFC 822 was the original spec for email as we know it.  I'm not going to
look them up because I don't have time.

Case doesn't matter.  You can use what you want and anyone else can too.

GMail ignores ".".  You can scatter them willy-nilly in your name and get
the same account.  This is not sanctioned by RFC 822 (for both senses of
the word).

"Normal" mail systems have typically ignored everything after "+".
Probably not GMail.  I sometime use that to put tags on email addresses I
give out: I can tell who gave away my email address to a third party.

Unfortunately, many web sites refuse "+" within email addresses, clearly
violating the RFCs.  I have inferred that this is a Microsoft innovation.