[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 14:32:00 EDT 2024

On Fri, 9 Aug 2024 at 14:15, Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net> wrote:
> In this case will I have an issue if I choose a 14  but
> these are  12 a items?

As I've said 14/3 designates 14 gauge wire with 3 conductors. 12/3
designates 12 gauge wire also with 3 conductors. The gauge numbers don't
specify the amps but are related.

12 gauge is larger diameter than 14 gauge. 12 gauge will be able to
safely handle more current than 14 gauge. However, a 12 gauge cord
will be larger, heavier and likely more expensive than a 14 gauge cord
of the same length.

As long as you can afford the extra cost and the thickness of the cord
doesn't present any problems with where it will be placed, it's better
to go with a 12 gauge cord than a 14 gauge cord. But, depending on the
total power it needs to provide, a 14 gauge cord may be fine.

Knowing the required length of the cord and the maximum power needed
for the equipment it would supply would help.

--
Scott