[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 11:29:58 EDT 2024

On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 10:19 AM Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:06, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > A 16 port switch would likely be a good start and they're running from
> in the low $70 to
> > into a couple hundred $$$ depending upon branding.
>
> The O.P., Karen, was asking for an ethernet "splitter" which likely
> meant she only needed 1 extra port. Even a <$30 8 port switch would be
> overkill. Are you really recommending a $70 or more 16 port switch for
> this situation? Another <$30 8 port switch would give 6 more ports if
> needed down the road.

Well - - - I have gotten to call this particular concept the "mennonite
disease" (due to t
the area in which I live).

This is when you save a little bit of money in year one (purchase) likely
save little if not
pay more for electricity in the intervening years. Then in year 5 the thing
being worked at
least hard if not to capacity dies, then you buy the larger sized item.

If you had purchased the larger sized item in year one - - - your purchase
price would
be greater but because the machine is more likely to be loafing along - - -
well year 10
comes along and the thing is still working (if not longer). I have been
noticing this
reluctance to the initial purchase of good tools for many years - - - there
is another
much older saying that goes along with it as well.

Regards